Sunday, April 19, 2009

Take a look - It is for a good cause!

Where to start?

On an unsuspecting Sunday in January 2005, my bishop gave me a calling that really surprised me - Ward Choir Director. OK, so I can read music and kind of carry a tune, but I didn't see this one coming!

The next day we found out about Hope's problems. I was about 20 weeks pregnant at the time.

In the neighboring ward, so I am told, Carolyn Kasteler was also called to be a choir director around that time. My Relief Society President gave me her phone number and insisted that I call her so that we could coordinate/commiserate. I believe there might have been ulterior motives on the part of RS President LouAnn! You see, Carolyn is an RN who operates the Angel Watch program. This program helps families whose unborn children have problems that will likely take their lives either before or shortly after birth. Carolyn offered some much needed comfort and a perspective that no one else was able to offer at the time. (By the way, I am pretty sure that a big reason for the calling was to meet Carolyn. Another calling necessitated a release just 3 months after Hope was born.)

Now, skip forward 4 years.

Last Sunday, Mike and I were driving home from Easter dinner and started talking about what we could do to celebrate Hope's 4th birthday this year. (I can't believe she is almost 4!) We threw out a few ideas. On Tuesday this email showed up from Carolyn Kasteler (see flyer at the bottom of the post). To us it is significant that this race is being held only 2 days after Hope's birthday. (Maybe we can go on a 5K run/walk out here:)

Dear Friends,

As many of you know, I have been directing a program called Angel Watch for the last several years. It is a program that gives emotional and social support to families when the parents learn that they are pregnant with an infant that has a potentially lethal diagnosis and is not expected to live much past birth - if at all. It is currently funded almost entirely by donations through the McKay-Dee Hospital Foundation. At present, it is at risk for funding next year. Therefore, the reason for this email message.

There is a wonderful way you can help, if you would like. Pam Hansen, who is the author of a book, Running With Angels is co-sponsoring a 5K Run/Walk on May 16, 2009 along with the help of Intermountain-Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. It is at 8:00 AM at Thanksgiving Point, in Lehi. This year, she has designated that ALL of the proceeds of the race are to go to Angel Watch to support our program in the Utah South area, with any special donations going to our statewide program! We appreciate her kind generosity!

As the statewide Angel Watch program is in danger of going away because of lack of funds, I would like to encourage you and your families and friends to register for this walk/run and participate on May 16th as you can, so that future potential Angel Watch families can receive support as they have in the past.

The link to the race/walk information and the registration form is attached! Thanks for your support and...See you at the race!

Carolyn Kasteler, RN
Director of Angel Watch

PS - For those of you who are not able to attend the race but would like to make a donation to Angel Watch, please go to www.mckay-deefoundation.org to make an on-line donation? Just go to "Ways to Give" and click on it and then on the button for "on-line donations" and then designate Angel Watch as the recipient. Thanks in advance for any support you can give us!!

Mike and I really believe in this program and have been able to participate in a small way since Hope's death. If we were in Utah, we would certainly be participating on May 16th.

We'd like to invite any of our Utah friends and family who are interested to participate. It is a great cause.

To our friends and family outside of Utah - We invite you to donate to the McKay-Dee Foundation or the next time you are looking for a worthy charity to donate to, consider contacting your local hospital about their infant bereavement programs. There really is a need.

5 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

I ran that race last year, and it was positively awesome! Wonderful cause that I believe in passionately, wonderful crowd of happy people, and the doves they released at the beginning were amazing and inspiring. I ran it with a bunch of friends, wearing t-shirts that commemorated our angel babies. I would do it again this year except it's the same day as my marathon. I do have other family and friends that will be doing it.

The Wessman Family said...

Yeah, Heidi! I knew you'd be a supporter:) Good luck on the marathon!

Stephanie said...

Marinda- I feel uplifted every time I check your blog. Thanks for that! I am glad Abby is okay too- no fun! (And I love the story about the zinc-oxide!)

L said...

First, CONGRATS on your new little guy! What a sweetie!!! I am so happy for you guys.

Next, Carolyn sure has done a lot for the people in the Murray 3rd ward, she is the one that got us taking care of Leone. What a neat story for you guys.

I am so happy Abby is doing better, what a roller coaster.

Stephanie said...

Wow, what a great cause! I am co-chair of the infant bereavement program in our NICU, and it's truly a cause that no one really knows about unless they have the unfortunate experience of needing it. I wish we could partipate in this run in person, I would sign up in a heartbeat!