Thursday, April 16, 2009

Poor Baby

Monday Abby was fine.

Tuesday she threw up all day.

Tuesday night marked Abby's second visit to the ER. (The first involved the possible ingestion of a Christmas tree ornament that made for a better story, but this is all I put on the blog.) She was really dehydrated. It is crazy how fast their little bodies can do that.

Luckily, she also got rehydrated pretty fast, but then they admitted her to make sure that her labs improved.

Mike stayed with her the whole time except for a few hours yesterday morning when he went to work and Briton and I were with her. (I hated to have Briton in the hospital too much.)

It's got to be pretty scary for a 2-year-old. Funny bed. People doing strange things to her. Tubes coming out of her arms. Not feeling well. She did pretty well with letting the nurses take her vitals at first. Then they took some blood and put in a catheter for a bit yesterday. After that nurses were the bad guys.

Luckily, all the lab results came back good and we all got home at around 10 pm last night (22+ long hours, but counting our blessings it wasn't worse).

Here are some lessons I learned:

As previously mentioned, it doesn't take long for a little person to get dehydrated. 11 hours is a long time to go without a wet diaper.
We were in a shared room. Our roommate was a little tiny one (not more than 3 or 4 months, probably). Her mom was with her and I ended up learning quite a bit about her dad. (Maybe in the process I learned a lot about her mom, too.) Mom sat on her cell for a couple hours and told multiple people all sorts of cruddy stuff about her estranged husband. It was really sad. I was reminded of a quote that Cheree L. referred to in Relief Society a while back. It is from Sister Marjorie Hinckley and I think about it a lot in terms of not talking negatively about spouses.
  • "I think any marriage, to be successful, you have to be fiercely loyal to each other. Fiercely loyal, and I think that's happened with us."
Finally, this morning Abby and I were playing like usual. It made me realize how much I missed the real Abby the past two days. It was as if I had forgotten how she really looks, talks and acts. I love having the real Abby back!

6 comments:

Lizzy said...

I am glad that Abby is feeling better! I love that quote from Sister Hinckley!

Amanda said...

Poor girl, I am glad she is feeling better. I love your new header BTW!

Julie Williams said...

What a Tuesday! I am glad that Abby is back to her old self!

Nancy said...

I love the quote - it is a great reminder!! I hope Abby is doing better.

Jenn said...

glad she is ok

Shana said...

Poor girl.... both of you! Glad she's better!!!! After hearing people talk about their spouses that way, it makes you appreciate yours 10X more!!!