Friday, April 17, 2009

Poor Baby, Part 2

Abby went back to the hospital on Friday. That was no fun. In a nutshell:

  • The pediatrician who did her follow up visit (and who had never seen her before) said that she was dehydrated again and all but insisted that she go back.
  • Mike and I questioned it because we could see a huge difference between how she was then and how she had been on Tuesday.
  • I took her in after debating for a while and then watching her throw up again. (It's pretty tricky to get a sick toddler and an infant--who you don't want to touch anything or anyone or any-germ--into a hospital and admitted with a single stroller. So Friday evening I went out and bought a double stroller. Love it.)
  • The hospital doctors (who had seen her Tuesday and Wednesday) pretty much concurred with us that she wasn't nearly as bad as before (but still somewhat dehydrated), but she was already admitted so they kept her and did all the tests and stuff. Poor thing. Like a friend said, "Once they get in there, it is pretty hard to get them out!"
  • She came home Saturday afternoon.
I am so grateful to Mike for all he has done through this. He took time off work, spend two nights at the hospital and spent most of the days there as well. He just keeps saying that there wasn't a choice. (We wanted to keep Briton away as much as possible.) I suppose he is right. There wasn't much of a choice, but he did have a choice in how he dealt with it. He didn't complain. He has a ton going on at work right now and was able to drop it and come to the hospital as he was needed. He is so wonderful with Abby. (She adores him.) He dealt with lots of yucky messes. I appreciate him so much.

7 comments:

rusted sun said...

I'm so sorry to hear that she has been sick. I'm glad to know that the rest of you, especially Briton have stayed healthy.

We have the same stroller and love it. :)

Haley said...

oh my goodness! I'm so glad Abby is ok but what an ordeal. :( You guys have great attitudes. Here's hoping the next few months are calm and peaceful.

Eliza said...

We're glad that Abby is doing better. It is no fun to have sick kids.

Kristi said...

Not a very fun week for you, eh? I sure hope Abby gets better (with no ill effects for Briton).
Love the double stroller--they are pretty essential!

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad she's better. Poor thing. No fun for you guys either, having to watch your baby go through that! I was impressed with Mike too, what a great Dad!

Bonny said...

Hopefully that's it for her. Its so hard to know sometimes whether or not you should take her in. I hope she keeps getting better and I'm glad Mike is so great to help. What did you ever do without a double stroller before? Love mine :)

Strong Family said...

I understand how hard it is with the baby. Tyler had a bad flu that has been going around here. The first morning it was coming out both ends, and I had to let my baby scream on the floor. Everytime I turned around to wash my hands so I could pick him up, I had to run back and help Tyler with either the throw up or diarehha. Fortunately, Nathan was able to come home for a few hours and then my mom in law came and helped me out. It was rough. Fortunately, he was able to keep some fluids down. It was a rough few days. I'm glad that Abby is better now!