Sunday, March 1, 2009

2 Reasons I am grateful for the organization of the church

1. We have an instant family when we do crazy things like move across the country, start a new job, buy a new house and have a new baby in a 6 week time frame.

That means that we can go from knowing no one in an entire state to having countless meals and babysitters available when the new baby comes.

That also means that when we wanted to paint our house and do some minor projects during the week we owned the house but hadn't had our furniture and stuff delivered (i.e. we didn't have a vacuum, hammer, screwdriver or anything else), we had people we could borrow from and they were OK with it!

That also means that when your kids don't have their grandparents close by, they have lots of people that are willing to fill in as grandmas and grandpas. A slightly related experience: Tonight, I asked Abby to run with me to the home of a fabulous couple in our branch that have always been so kind and loving to Abby so that we could return some dishes. They live less than a mile away, but Abby insisted on packing a purse before we could leave. This is what that turned into. That bag was full. And that was just to take in the car. (She told me that with the teddy bear it was too heavy so I got to carry the purse.)

(If you don't find this picture funny, that is OK. I laugh every time I look at it because I was there while she was packing the purse for the long journey down the street so it amuses me at least...)

2. We have opportunities to serve.

Nearly every day I talk to Mike on the phone while he is at work. Nearly every day he asks me, "What do we have going tonight?" In Murray, we were so busy. There was always something going on. Here, I think I have gotten pretty comfortable saying, "Uh, nothing." We don't have callings. We don't have much going on with friends and family. (We don't have any family around, unfortunately.)

Today we got a sacrament meeting speaking assignments and Mike got a calling. No more sliding under the radar, I suppose:) I have been especially struck by the thought that service in the church makes us happy. We truly love it!

I love this scripture:

Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah...

Serving in the church allows us to participate in that great work of sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with the world!

****

Another thought: This past week, my step-grandpa passed away. He was a very kind, generous and quiet man. His health has not been good for quite some time. We told Abby that Grandpa Tom had died and gone to live with Jesus. She responded, "In the temple." How sweet of her to know that the temple is Jesus' house.

5 comments:

Auntie Helen said...

So what calling did Mike receive? It truly is a MIRACLE that we can see pictures of these new family members the SAME day as they are born. To think that our ancestors frequently said farewell to their children or parents, never to see nor hear from them again. Modern-day communication is wonderful!

Borland family said...

I lOVE it!! my Andrew insists ontaking EVERYTHING with him wherever he goes. I know the patience it takes to let them do it when all youwanted was to get going. We love callings too. We move so much that we LOVe to have callings right away, it helps to feel a part of the wardand makes life much more enjoyable. what will Mike be doing?

Lizzy said...

I am so glad that yo umoved to such a great branch, the Church is truly a blessing in so many ways!

Shana said...

Thank you for posting so often! I love to hear from you. What a great blessing the gospel is... it's the same everywhere you go! Is this the grandpa that had the horses next to your cabin? Sorry for the news. Take care!

Bonny said...

How nice for you. Some wards/branches are better at serving each other than others and it sounds like you got a great one. I LOVE Abby's expression. Hilarious. You are better than me, I probably would have gotten impatient at her packing the purse :)