Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A couple little stories and stuff

Tonight before bed, Mike was reading an ABC book to Abby. (I was sitting nearby.) She's heard this book hundreds of times so Mike was letting her fill in the blanks (i.e. A is for ..., B is for ..., etc.) When he got to O, he waited for her to fill in the blank. She hesitated and said octopus. That's great because octopus does start with O. The only "problem" is that it was a picture of an orange. I was impressed that she knew that octopus does start with an O. (She has other ABC books...still I'm impressed.)

The other night we were driving home and Abby pointed out that Mike was driving mommy's car. I told her that although I usually drive the Santa Fe, mom and dad are a team and that we share cars. Mike said, "Team Wessman! Are you part of our team?" (Abby thinks: If mom and dad are a team and they get to share cars...and now they are inviting me to join their team...BINGO!) Abby then said, "Abby drive!"

Abby was making silly faces so Mike made silly faces back at her. They kept exchanging the faces and Mike was leaning in imitating her until their foreheads touched. Abby chuckled as their faces got closer and said, "almost kisses". Cute girl!

Cute kids:

On a different note, here is a recipe for some cookies that I made the other night. Mike and I thought they were a huge hit. The Andes mint idea comes from my in-laws who melt Andes mints on brownies. Mmmmm...

1 1/2 sticks of margarine or 3/4 cup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon peppermint
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Nuts

Andes mints

Directions:
Cream butter, sugars, beat in eggs and spices. Add dry ingredients. Stir in nuts. Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees on greased cookie sheet.

While the cookies are cooking, unwrap as many Andes mints as you have cookies in the oven. As soon as you pull them out, put a mint on top of each cookie and let the warmth of the cookie melt the mint. (You may need to put the cookie sheet back in the oven for 20-30 seconds to encourage the melting.) Take a knife or fork and spread and swirl the green and brown colors in the mints.

5 comments:

Holli said...

So cute! I love all of your Abby stories and that picture of Briton's wide eyes is so darling. I wish I could see him in person! He won't get too much bigger by summer, right?

Em-Cat said...

I love hearing all the "Abbyisms." She's so cute and getting so big and smart. Little Briton is so cute too!

Shana said...

Abby's hair is getting so long! We sure do miss her. We played with Lisa and kids today and Cooper kept calling Addie, Abby. I'm glad you keep posting pics of Briton... he keeps changing. That's what's hard to know once ours comes, he'll just keep growing and changing too.

Bekah and Lance said...

I love those brownies! Can't wait to try the cookies! I love hearing all of the cute things Abby says. My favorite from this post has got to be the "Abby drive" one. Mike totally walked into that one!! :)

Bonny said...

Those are cute! I know my kids aren't the only ones to say cute things. :)