Thursday, March 12, 2009

Wedded bliss


Today is our 5th anniversary. Life has been very good to Mike and I! Marriage has been a joy! I stole this off of Anne-Marie's blog. (She had her anniversary this week as well!)

1. Where did you and your husband meet?
We met at an institute Family Home Evening activity (square dancing:) up at the University of Utah on July 28, 2003.

2. How long before you kissed?
It was Labor Day weekend - just over a month later.

3. Who kissed who first?
It was Mike.

4. How long from the time you met until you were engaged?
We got engaged on December 26, 2003. Mike says he had planned to propose on Christmas Day but the weather was not good and he wanted to propose outside on a snowmobile ride. (We were at the cabin. Incidentally, we were also at the cabin Labor Day weekend - see #3.)

5. How did he propose?
We went for a snowmobile ride while at my parents' cabin for Christmas. We rode around for a while (while it was snowing) at ended up at the top of Fish Creek (one of my favorite little rides). Mike suggested we take a picture so he set up the timer on the camera and took a picture. He asked if we could take another and then proposed for the camera!
6. Did he pick out the ring or did you?
We went ring shopping a few times and I found one that I really liked but I left it up to him. He ended up having a different jeweler make the ring that I had liked with a few little modifications. We had already set a date by the time he proposed, but I told him I couldn't start planning the wedding until I was officially engaged. Time was starting to run short so he got me a simple gold band and proposed with that until the "real thing" was ready.

7. Do you still like the ring?
I love it! I always wanted an anniversary band style ring and I got it.

8. Where was your wedding and reception?
We were married in the Salt Lake Temple and had our reception at my parents' church. It was beautiful!

9. How many bridesmaids did you have?
My sisters and sisters-in-law were my bridesmaids (Tami, Stephanie, Kaley, Bekah and Lara). That makes 5.

10. What color were your bridesmaid dresses?
Gold and cream - they all looked really nice!

11. What was your bouquet made of?
Roses, mums and calla lilies, I think. The roses were cream with a rosey red on the edges. My flowers were fabulous. My mom and neighbor did them all. There were a lot of really unique arrangements and they looked great.

12. Who gave you away?
Nobody. No giving away in the temple ceremony.

13. Did you cry during your wedding?
I really can't remember. I was so excited that I might not have, but I wouldn't be surprised if I got a little bit teary.

14. What style was your dress?
It was exactly what I wanted. My mom and I shopped all over and we were just about convinced that she'd have to make it, but we found it. I don't know what the "style" was, but it had a fitted beaded bodice. The skirt was not very full with a small train. It was very simple.

15. Was your wedding kiss sweet or sexy?
Sweet.

16. Who caught your bouquet?
I can't remember....

17. What flavor was your cake?
I think there were a few different flavors - maybe lemon and chocolate? I know that one of the layers was a big rise krispie treat (frosted so no one would know, of course) and that when we went to cut the cake, I realized I didn't know which layer to cut so I had to go and ask our wedding planner which layer was the rice krispie treat so that I didn't cut into it. I was slightly emabarrassed.

18. Did you smash the cake onto each other's faces or feed it to each other nicely?
We were nice.

20. What did you serve your guests to eat?
It is hard to know since I didn't get any:) There were breads with spreads, fruit, meat balls, desserts and other stuff. (I don't remember what the desserts were.)

21. What did your friends do to decorate your car?
We left both our cars at my parents' house, but Mike's friend, Quin, was able to track it down and do the typical stuff to both of them. I know that one of our cars sat decorated in an airport parking lot for over a week while we were on our Honeymoon.

22. What was your favorite wedding gift?
It's hard to pick one because we got some great stuff. We use our wok and our rice cooker a ton. My parents' bishop was a printer so he let me design my announcements and print them for me as a gift.

23. What was the worst wedding gift you got?
I can't think of anything. If there was something we didn't need, we returned it:)

24. Where did you go on your honeymoon?
We went to Tahiti! It was AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL. It was funny the way it worked out. We planned to do Mexico or Florida and were shopping around online one night when Mike's roommate said, "You should go to Tahiti. My parents really like it there!" We just laughed but looked it up and then laughed harder when we saw the prices (way out of our price range). We realized we'd need some help with the planning so we went to a travel agent to discuss some options. She gave us some suggestions and ideas and then at the end of our conversation she said something like, "You might want to consider Tahiti. I have a package here that might work for you." We laughed some more when we realized that her package might be viable. A couple days later, I saw a booklet at Costco for their travel packages. I picked one up to thumb through and, lo and behold, there was Tahiti again. We ended up using Costco Travel and went to a fabulous resort on the island of Moorea. We highly recommend it!
25. Looking back, is there anything you would have changed about your wedding?
Hmmm...It was a great day. It would've been nice if my brother had been there. (He was on his mission.) I realized at the last minute that we hadn't planned for the cutting of the cake and the first dance so we threw something together and it was fine, but a couple mixups. The first few minutes of our reception, people were playing with the lights and that kind of bugged me. I thought that the March weather would not be great, but it was a nice day - no leaves on the trees, but a nice day. Really, it was a fabulous day and any "changes" would be very insignificant.

7 comments:

Holli said...

This was so fun to read! Mike and I are in the process of doing the same thing, although I'm going to add some of your questions. We're both going to do it and then compare. I keep meaning to call you and get caught up. I will, I promise.

Lizzy said...

Maybe Dan and I will take a trip to Tahiti, it sounds great :-) Happy Anniversary!

Shana said...

I'm going to steal that as well. It's crazy how all of us got married 5 years ago!!! Time flies when you are having fun!

Julie Williams said...

I loved reading about your story! Five years goes fast--(Nick and I got married this year as well!) Your honeymoon story was great! Thanks for sharing!

Anne-Marie said...

I "stole" it off my sil's blog if that's any consolation.

YOu guys are a perfect couple.

Happy MARCH Anniversary!

Stephanie said...

Cute post, and cute blog! I found you! I had to come right home and do it before I forgot. I'll send you an email inviting you to ours...

Em-Cat said...

Wow! Has it been five years already. I feel privileged that I was there the day the sparks flew! Congratulations you two.