Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What we have been doing for the last few days...

It's kind of a long post...

On Saturday, Abby and I flew around 1600 miles with 4+ hours in the air and 3 hours on a layover. She did phenomenal! I really was proud of her.

We have become fans of Southwest Airlines. We were able to make multiple changes (very easily, I might add) to our flight plans, we could check in 4 suitcases with no fees and there were even free peanuts!

While we were flying Mike was driving 1.5 hours to pick us up and buy a new (to us) car in the big city. He bought a Hyundai Sonata. (Now both of our cars are 2003 silver Hyundais.)

The drive home was very long. It had been snowing all day and the freeways were not plowed. We broke up the trip with a stop at Olive Garden and made it to the hotel at around midnight EST.

The hotel we'll be in for the next 3ish weeks will work out nicely. It is a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom "penthouse suite" with a full kitchen. (The second bathroom part is new to us. We haven't figured out much what to do with it.) We've driven past our new house a couple times. It's in the country (kind of). I am so excited to get into it!

Sunday we went to church at our branch. It was about a 30 minute drive, but will only be about 20 when we move into our house. Everyone was very friendly and we think we'll enjoy it. The building doesn't have a cultural hall but the chapel has the padded folding chairs. They do a monthly potluck dinner that happened to be this week so the chapel was just cleared to make way for the tables. It was a nice time to visit. This is our branch building. It is nice and appears to be fairly new.
Yesterday, Abby and I took Mike to work (since we only have one car right now). We spent most of the day in the hotel - other than the Walmart stop we made on the way back from work and the Home Depot stop we made on the way to pick him up.

I am starting to get to know the area a bit. I don't think that Brother Brigham laid this town out, but with the help of our trusty GPS, I don't think it'll take too long...

Also, there is a TON of snow here. I thought we got snow in Utah, but I was wrong. This is snow. The days we were moving out of our house, I was mildly bothered by the wet, slushy snow that seemed to be slowing me down (and just being an inconvenience). I think that here I am already learning that this is just the way it is! Abby has worn her snow boots and no other shoes for two days in a row. (And life hasn't been as hectic as moving out of a house so it has not been bad at all.)

By the way, the area that our hotel is in is really quite pretty (and the snow adds to it). It is right next to the university (which is very old) and all its beautiful and stately brick buildings.

5 comments:

Borland family said...

COngratualtions on making it. I'm sure you're glad to be back together.I don't know if you've ever been in a branch bevore, but they are fun. Sounds a lot like the one we grew up in, no real chapel. Have fun. I can't wait to hear how life is in the midwest and see pictures of your new house.

Strong Family said...

I'm so glad that everything seems to be going well for you guys. I hope you can get into your house before your little guy comes. Good luck with everything!

Nurse Heidi said...

Thanks for the update! I've been thinking of you and wondering how things are going.

M. Nelson said...

We're glad you arrived safe and sound. Enjoy that hotel while you can! Moving in is always a lot of work. We're happy for you.

Shana said...

Thanks for the update.... keep us updated!!