Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A few farewells...

Monday night we drove up to the cemetery to take a few pictures with little Hope. The roads and the weather were not the best. (We had to park the car a ways away from her headstone knowing we might not be leaving the cemetery very easily if we didn't.) We were happy to stop by and will miss being so close to such a beautiful cemetery and peaceful resting place for our little girl.


Sunday evening friends from the ward arranged for an open house. (Thank so much to Monica for coordinating and Becca and Bruce for hosting.) Our Murray 3rd ward is precious to us and we have been deeply blessed by so many.
Sunday evening earlier we went with my family to the Draper Temple open house. It was beautiful and I was so glad we were able to see the temple before leaving. My parents will be in its district.Sunday afternoon we visited with Grandpa David and Grandma Nancy. Abby enjoys visiting them. Nancy is so good to have fun toys for Abby to play with!
Sunday morning we were happy to have Grandpa Dave and Grandma Kaye along with Bekah and Lance with us at church. We so appreciated all the help they gave to us in preparations for our move. (We said our farewells at church. I don't have a picture.)

Thursday, Grandma Mary and Grandpa Frank came by. We love to visit with them and appreciate all the love and affection they show for Abby.


The last couple of days
we have been saying farewell to our cute little house. The movers finished packing and loading today and are off! Last weekend, I had to get several suitcases packed that we could use for the next couple weeks before we move into our new house. Abby was watching me pack a suitcase and decided to pack one herself. This was her contribution:

Today she was very cute to watch with the movers. Towards the end of the day, they were wrapping up smaller pieces of furniture into the moving blankets. They would spread the blanket on the floor, lay down the piece of furniture diagonally, fold up the corners and then tape them all together. Abby loves to spread blankets on the floor and lie herself or her dolls on the blankets so this part of the packing process was thoroughly fascinating to her. After the movers took up one of our rugs there were some slip guards left on the floor. She picked one up, spread it out, put a little round thingy that had been under our couch on it, folded the corners up and asked for tape! It was fun to watch.

More farewells to go. I will miss Utah and so many people so deeply. (I certainly won't miss this whole process though.)
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Lizzy said...

We are going to miss you so much!! I know that your family will be a blessing to the new friends you meet! I am glad that we can keep in tough through the blogging world!
-Liz

Julie Williams said...

It has been so fun getting to know you over the last couple of years. (Has it been two years already?) You are so amazing. Thanks for your friendship. Good luck with this exciting adventure you are headed on. You will be missed. I am glad that you are a good blogger so I can see updates of your new adventure--so keep up the good work--post, post post!!

Em-Cat said...

I'm sure it's going to be so difficult to leave on this new adventure. I myself would really feel the pain to having to leave my little girl's grave...I'm sure it was a comfort to have it so close. Good luck - you'll be in our prayers!
Love,
Emily & Rob

M. Nelson said...

I'm crying while I'm reading your post. We just got home today after a trip to Utah. I'm missing it all over again. I think Utah will always feel like my real home.

I wish you and your family the best as you settle in to your new life. What an adventure!

Anne-Marie said...

You will be very missed!! Big moves are the worst, esp cross-country.

sniffle...

Bonny said...

How nice for you to have those goodbyes. We tried to move a couple times and just couldn't do it. Good thing we didn't have to. We will all miss you, but we're excited for this new opportunity for you. It doesn't feel like goodbye thanks to your blog.

Her Grace, Heidi, the Duchess of Kneale said...

You will be okay.

Sure, it's hard making that big move, choosing which memories to pack, choosing which must stay beind, then up and leaving for greener fields.

It is hard because you're making a change, but it's a change you've chosen through your own power.

In the new place, find the things that are different but good, and find the things that are the same. The homesickness blues will be temporary and then you'll discover you are glad you went.

Hug all those you will be leaving behind and remember, it's not forever. You can always come back for a visit.

Good luck.

Shana said...

I'm so glad we were able to see you today and have the kids play. I'm really bummed to see you go, but am way excited for your new house and new adventure. It is so nice to be able to keep in touch easily and know you'll visit. We will miss our almost weekly play dates for sure. Thanks for being such a good friend and coming back into my life (5 years ago) and staying close ever since. I'ts crazy to think we've known each other about 10 years or so. If and when you do return, it will be fun to do playdates with the new little boys.... Good Luck with everything and may Heavenly Father be forever watchful (I know He will). Love you lots!!!

Haley said...

Marinda, I'm so sad to see you guys go. I can't imagine these last 8 years without you. Sounds sappy, but we've had some fun times and survived the single years together. I am jealous that you are moving to such a wonderful state. I have no doubt you will love it! I predict you will be there for a long time and will love it. Can't wait to see you this summer!