Sunday, August 2, 2009

Abby

This is Abby's effort at a healthy digestive system. I set the table for dinner, turned around and this is what I saw.In other news, we are trying a bit of potty training. Recently, I told Abby that she could have a chocolate chip for using the toilet. She is too smart a girl for that and it backfired on me.

First, she used her negotiating skills to convince me that one chocolate chip wasn't worth much of anything. She insisted that she needed "plenty". Ok, 3 chocolate chips. "No, mom, I need lots and lots." I told her she could have more than 3. (How does 4 sound?)

That wasn't too bad. Then she started wanting to sit on the toilet all the time, crying because she wanted chocolate. This caused a bit of anxiety on her part, I think. The whining caused anxiety on my part.

By the end of the evening she had pottied twice on the deck. (One time she came in the sliding doors, threw the panties on the floor and said, "I don't want these panties. They're all wet.")

We're going to come up with a plan. I think we can do this.

5 comments:

Borland family said...

Good Luck!!! I did not like potty training AT ALL!!! It was VERY stressfull. I have a negotiator as well, NO FUN. But, I do have to say, that as soon as HE was ready, we had virtually NO problems.Of course he was 3 and a few months. Ben on the other hand, he's potty training himself...we'll see how that goes.

amberjill said...

We are working on Trae, but in a matter of 12 hours he managed to poop in our friends pool, and pee in my shoes! This stuff bites!

Becky said...

When you consider all the people in the world that are potty trained, you would think it would be a much more natural, simple process than it is. I am gearing up to train Kate in the Fall and I feel like I need to prepare myself emotionally for the challenge;-) I hope training goes well for you!

Nurse Heidi said...

Pretty sure that potty training is my least favorite developmental stage. It took Ethan a YEAR to get it down. Rachel was faster, more like a month. Katie's showing interest, and we're casually playing along but not really being serious about it. I'm not above big time bribery to get it accomplished.

Shana said...

Oh Marinda. I've had it pretty easy. Just take a few days, stay home, stay in the kitchen with the laptop and "potty" movies and have her go every hour or so. It was rough the first week, but it's been better. I'm not saying we don't have accidents and I still make him go sit on it if he hasn't for a while, but it's soooo nice not having diapers. We did have one that he didn't get to me fast enought and he pooped all over the carpet and stepped in it. He had been sick.... not fun. Anyway, good luck. I ended up buying little toys to help with pooping and it seemed to work. But again... still some accidents. Keep at it and remember, she only knows diapers so it's hard on everyone!!