Sunday, August 2, 2009

2000 miles in 10 hours

Our trip home was kind of crazy. We made it though. Here is a highlight of the pros (+) and cons (-).

- Mom (that's me) has to get double-wide stroller, two backpacks, a carseat and two children onto an airplane.
+ Both said children get on the plane in Salt Lake.
+ Plane arrives in TN 1/2 hour early.
+ Because of the early arrival we are able to get on an early flight out of TN to avoid a 4.5 hour layover.
- The Northwest gate clerk tells me that my transaction has fouled up all of his computers so I better stay close to "wait and see if we can get on the flight".
- Because of said waiting, there wasn't time to buy myself and kids lunch.
+ There are a couple food places next door to our gate.
+ I opt for the "healthy" smoothie.
- Abby sees the ice cream in the smoothie shop and tantrums when she realizes that we are not buying ice cream. (Shall I mention the granola bars and fruit snacks we'd dined on on the first flight?)
- Abby continues to tantrum in front of our soon-to-be flightmates.
- Abby "struggles" to get from the gate to the plane due to said tantrum.
+ Again, both children do get on the plane.
+ Children behave wonderfully on the plane.
- Our luggage does not make it on the early flight.
- I get to think about waiting 3 more hours for my luggage to arrive or making the 3 hour round trip the next day to get it.
+ Northwest agrees to ship the luggage to our local airport.
+ We find our car (that was left in the park and jet place by a branch member who was switching places with us (i.e. going to Utah) the morning we were coming home).
+ We ate a meal (albeit McDonalds) on the way home.
+ We make it home to Mike:)

2 comments:

M. Nelson said...

We switched places. You had a crazy flight home and the kids and I just had a crazy flight to Utah. You get a free pass when it comes to fruit snacks, soda and McDonald's while traveling. Whatever gets you through!

Shana said...

glad you all made it in 1 piece!