Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Gripe (cont.) - The Joke is on Us

With regard to the high priced passports we just purchased for our children:

We found out through a family in our branch (who is traveling to Palmyra via Canada without passports for their kids this weekend) and through a bit of good old fashioned Google searching that our kids really don't need passports. We recognize that this was our fault (ouch!), but I figured I'd publicize our error on the blog to save the rest of you $85/kid (unless you already figured it out:). Here is the scoop: If you're traveling by land or sea to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean, children under 16 don't need a passport. In defense of Mike and I, we took Abby to Canada in 2007 and were told that as of 1/1/2008, she'd need a passport. The government changed their minds sometime (and, yes, I think it has been a while and, no, we didn't discover it until today - 6 days too late) and went back to the "birth certificate is enough" rule. Air travel is a different story.

So, basically, I need to take my kids to Europe or fly them to Canada to make our $170 worth our while, right?

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Really?! Would you mind sharing the link you found? The searches I find keep saying children do need a passport. This would make a difference for our family!

Jared & Melisa said...

That really stinks I'm sorry, but I guess if your family ever needs to get out of the country really fast you can.:) I'm really sorry that I wasn't there for the walk, I feel really under the weather today. I would have called but I don't know anyone's phone numbers yet. I need to set up an account on lds org. I hope you have a great and safe vaca. in Utah! See you in a few of weeks.

Bekah and Lance said...

Sounds like a good excuse to make a trip to Chile or England! :)

Haley said...

What a bummer! But now they've got them and yes, you should plan a trip to Europe! Woo hoo. See you in a few days!

Wessman said...

Dont feel too bad Mandy and CJ did the same thing for their 3 kids. Thanks for sharing