Friday, November 7, 2008

I am so glad we live in a country where there is a way to express our opinions and participate in the law making process.
I appreciate that many of us share similar opinions and that many of us will disagree. That is OK. It is good to look at the world through different eyes on occasion and try to see someone else's viewpoint.
We are so blessed to be able to vote as a way to express opinions.
I am deeply saddened when that right of a people or an organization are protested and, in effect, denied.
My church and fellow church members have every right to express their views on moral positions.
They should be treated with respect by those whose views on those moral issues differ.
Many of you know that the LDS Church has been targeted by opponents of Proposition 8 for their involvement in its passage. It seems very unfair to me that they are being targeted this way. Here is the church's statement with regard to the opposition's protests.

Incidentally, I still feel strongly that our country has spoken with regards to our elected officials and now we pray for them and do everything in our power to help us all succeed!

5 comments:

Strong Family said...

I've had a hard time with this one too. I know why it's important and have no doubt about protecting marriage, but I feel sad for those who are so upset and feel targeted for their beliefs. The people voted, it was close, but lets move on. I could say more, but I won't.

Anne-Marie said...

I agree on the impartiality of the whole debate in itself.
We as a church or organization in general are allowed the same freedom to support or not support what we will.

(and we do it a heck of alot more peacefully then most of the others)

Shana said...

Amen Sister!

Bonny said...

We have dealt with this issue in our extended family. I, as a parent, will fight with all that I have to be the one who decides when to talk to my children about moral issues. Not other people. I don't care if they want to get "married" but it is when try to tell me that they can tell my kindergartener that gay marriage is okay that I freak out. I know you agree, so sorry for the rant. Gender confusion is one of Satan's strongest tools now and it is sad to me.

Her Grace, Heidi, the Duchess of Kneale said...

Due to my work as a writer, I have a wide variety of peers who believe in a wider variety of ideas.

Many of them were against Prop 8 and honestly couldn't see why I would be in support of Prop 8 (not that it mattered, practically, as I vote in Utah and not California).

For a group of people who, for the most part, are an open-minded and understanding bunch, they all sure went rather narrow-minded when this thing rolled around.

I tried to explain in a gentle manner, but their minds and hearts had closed up.

Did I want to change their minds and opinions? No. Did I want them to understand that no, I wasn't being a prejudiced bigot (their words) that wanted to deny them their "rights", but that I had based my opinions on information that I believed would strengthen humanity? That's what I wanted.

I just found it so frustrating that they honestly couldn't accept that. I was also frustrated that people who are normally interesting and accepting people could have their brains shut down like that.

Dark, narrow-minded thinking is the work of the Adversary, no matter what one's opinions are.