Thursday, April 24, 2008

A good book...

I just finished reading The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews. It is the next book in our Relief Society book group. I thought I'd put a plug in for it...I enjoyed it...quick and easy read. The basic premise is a 40-something going through a midlife crisis learns life lessons as he travels back in time following a car accident. It may sound a bit cheesy or cliche but I really enjoy historical fiction so even if for no other reason, I enjoyed the stories from the past.

An example: While visiting with Abraham Lincoln, our protagonist, David, asks the President if he believes that God is on "our" side in the Civil War. Here is an excerpt that follows (p. 128):

"If we familiarize ourselves with the chains of bondage, we prepare our own limbs to wear them. The spirit of our government and our institutions must be to elevate people, and I am opposed to whatever degrades them. I am of the opinion that right makes right. Therefore I signed the [emancipation], and now we will enforce its effectiveness.
"So your question was, 'Do I believe that God is on our side?' To be quite honest, I haven't given that question very much attention. I am much more concerned with whether we are on God's side."

So if you are in my ward (or if not), read it. It'll make for an interesting discussion (last Tuesday in May).

PS The quote by Lincoln is a compilation of some of his actual quotes at different times and places. I found most of the sentences quoted online.

0 comments: