Sunday, February 3, 2008

Ronald McDonald House

I thought I'd share a fun project my family did this weekend:

The Ronald McDonald House in Salt Lake City is a place where out of town families can stay while their children are in the hospitals (Primary and Shriner's). These are families who do not have another place to stay or the resources to stay in a hotel. Because it is a charitable organization, their resources don't allow them to do a lot of cosmetic upgrades to the building. There is an ongoing effort on their part to have volunteers to adopt and redo rooms in the house. As a service project, my family redecorated a room in the house this weekend. It was a fair amount of work but we think that it turned out nice and I thought I'd share some of the before and after pictures.


The house is located on the corner of N Street and South Temple which happened to be along the funeral procession route for President Hinckley. We enjoyed going out onto the corner and waving handkerchiefs as the procession passed. We were able to see several of the Twelve as they passed by. It was an emotional moment. (Elder Bednar waved specifically at us!)

9 comments:

Bekah and Lance said...

Elder Bednar is awesome like that! :) Great job on the room!

L said...

What a neat thing to do! The room looks so great. And to have the added bonus of the funeral procession. What a special opportunity that I am glad you were able to enjoy! Good work!

Jen said...

That is so neat that your family did that! The room looks great.

AbiAnn said...

Wow, what a great idea! The room looks great. Did you guys go downtown on Saturday? Because Bart and I think we saw you three on the news. I love the "Then and Now" pictures, darling. A cute little snow-baby.

Anne-Marie said...

What a great experience to have with your family. I love the Ronald McDonald house charities. It's nice to know our happy meal contributions are going to good use.

The Wessman Family said...

Kimberly--Yes, we were downtown on Saturday. In fact we were really close to the KSL truck so I wouldn't be surprised...We (and KSL) were right outside the Ronald McDonald House which was along the funeral route.

Monica Mary said...

That is so cool. I would love to do something like that. Good for your family!

Bonny said...

I'm just finding new blogs to realize how dull mine is! I found yours from Anne Marie's. Wow, what a neat experience.

Nancy said...

Your blog looks so nice!! Thanks for finding me. I am excited to read some of your past entries.