Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Baby Steps

It has been a few days since I have posted, but it has been a nice week or so. Sunday after church we headed up to meet my parents at my grandma's house so that the 6 of us could drive up to Idaho Falls together and go to the Rexburg Temple Open House on Monday. It was a nice, but quick little getaway. While getting ready to leave from my grandma's house, I went into the bathroom and Mike was outside putting the car seat in grandma's car. I hear my mom yell out, "She walked to me!" Then I hear my mom say, "Do it again, Abby, come to grandma...yeah, good girl, you did it!" So my child took her first steps (twice) and I didn't even see them:) That's OK though because she gave us several repeat performances. (I did give my mom a hard time about encouraging her to walk the second time while I wasn't around to watch, but she definitely had the right to gloat.) So, lest you wonder, no, Abby cannot officially walk now, but she is very good at the 2-3 step journeys. Here is a little video. It is actually only one step, but trust me that she can do it!


Here is a picture of us at the temple. In addition to my mom, dad and grandma, Mike's sister Lara came with us.Here is a cute little anecdote from the temple tour: Our tour guide told us at one point that the next room we'd be seeing would be the Celestial Room. He told us a little about the decor in the room (8,000 crystals in the chandelier) and then said that because it is such a special room, he wouldn't be talking to us in the room to allow us to feel the special Spirit and reverence of the temple and to look around quietly. Well, the moment we walked into the room, Abby saw the big chandelier and starts out with "la-la-la-la, etc." She learned how to say "lights" during Christmas (la-la) and now loves to say it whenever she sees more than your typical fluorescent bulb. We tried to quiet her down with her pacifier, but, no use, she let everyone in the Celestial Room know that she could see the lights! It was a bit noisy for the Celestial Room, but no one minded it coming from a baby--and I suppose it is a good reminder that the temple and the gospel bring Light in the truest sense into our lives. (John 8:12)

1 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks for the great story about Abby. It reminds me of visiting the Timpanogos Temple Open House in 1996 with my nephew Robbie. When we walked into the Celestial room, he took one look at the chandelier and light and started doing these high pitch squeals of glee. We tried to quiet him, but I have always thought his reaction matches how we should feel in the Celestial Room.