Sunday, October 2, 2011

General Conference on Sunday and Summing it Up


Today we had the missionaries and some friends over all day for conference. It made for great company and even with 6 kids under 5 I think it was calmer than yesterday.


A couple of my thoughts from today:
  • I enjoyed Brother Richardson's talk. I've heard in a few settings lately the idea that teachers shouldn't get in the way of the learning of the students. I watched a talk given by Elder Bednar on this particular idea. How amazing it is that the Holy Ghost is able to teach all of us individually exactly what we need. The same lesson, if taught and received with and by the spirit can teach multiple students multiple lessons. Amazing.
  • Recently I studied some of the women in the Book of Mormon. It was a lot of fun. I enjoyed Sister Dalton's talk a lot - especially the part about Abish. (Incidentally, Lamoni's wife was a favorite. She had amazing faith.)
  • The Book of Mormon is such a source of peace for me. I appreciated President Eyring's teachings from the Books of Mormon, Elder Callister's testimony of it, and Elder Scott encouraging us to memorize it (verses, I mean).
  • There seemed to be a lot of references to prayer today, specifically President Monson and Elder Cornish. I can always be a better pray-er.
Summing it up: I actually came to conference this weekend with a few specific questions about some things I want to improve in my life. Those questions were a focus for me and I could look for answers that perhaps I wouldn't have recognized if I didn't have the question in the first place. It's true that general conference can teach 14 million. It is also true that it can teach one. I appreciated that I was able to add a few pieces to my puzzle this weekend.

0 comments: