Sunday, August 22, 2010

Mackinac and the Soo

This was our weekend:

Mackinac \ˈma-kə-ˌn\ Island: Mackinac is an island located in Lake Huron just east of the Mackinaw Bridge (yes, they are spelled differently). It is a quaint step back in time - no cars - just bikes, horse drawn carriages, shops, bed and breakfasts and history. We bypassed the bikes and just walked part (fraction) of the 8 mile perimeter. We loved it! The kids enjoyed playing in the water. Abby thought we were great for buying her ice cream and Mike and I enjoyed the scenery and cool weather.

About the pictures: 1-2 UPS deliveries on Mackinac - the boat in the second picture is carrying the UPS truck; 3 Proof we were there (with kiddos who have chosen not to be seen); 4 Arch Rock; 5 Bikes, cute houses, etc.; 6 Abby posing in front of horse carriages; 7 Kids and I with the bridge in the background; 8 Cheesy face in another fun street shot; 9 Hotel from Somewhere in Time (good movie) - the picture was taken from the ferry - they charge to walk on the grounds; 10 - back on the mainland our first crossing of the Bridge

Sault Ste. Marie \ˈsü-(ˌ)sānt-mə-ˈrē\ (and surrounding): Friday and Saturday nights we camped at a state park outside Sault Ste. Marie in the UP. It is a pretty area and we hope to go back and see more of the UP. There was a lot of rain and misty weather that slowed us down a bit. We didn't get to play on the beach. (I did touch Lake Superior though.) Today we attended the branch in Sault Ste. Marie. We love visiting wards and branches on vacation. It was a small branch. As usual, the members were very kind and welcoming. I believe this was the first time I have attended church in a rented building.

Highlights: 1 Abby's tree house - She asked us many times to put her into her "tree house" and she'd just sit there for several minutes - She loved it - Mike and I thought it looked slightly uncomfortable; 2-3 Point Iroquois Lighthouse; 4 The Soo Locks - These locks allow great big ships to travel between Lake Huron and Lake Superior - I believe it is a 21ish foot difference - It was pretty fascinating to watch the ships pull through and be raised and lowered; 5 Briton and Mike making dinner

6 comments:

Lizzy said...

What a fun trip! You guys do so much fun stuff, I am very impressed :)

Auntie Em, Wooster and Grub said...

I hope you tried the Mackinac Island fudge. Wooster loves it! He also served part of his mission in Sault Ste. Marie.

Stephanie said...

So glad you enjoyed it! I love sharing some of my favorite parts of MI!

Stephanie said...

p.s. I love the movie Somewhere in Time. I just watched it last night, for the first time in years!!! I wish I would have thought to share with you the secret entrance to get onto the lower grounds of the hotel for a closer peek!!!

Haley said...

I paid money once to tour the hotel and it was very fun. I'm glad you guys got to go. When the kiddos are older the tandem bikes are the way to go! SOOOOO FUN! hope you are feeling well...

Lester Family said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time!!! I think that is one of my favorite places ever!! It's been about 20 yrs since I've been, but it's on my list of places I want to share with Nate and the kids. {When I went we rented a bike to ride around, and then hiked above arch rock} Beautiful... Did you know on Labor Day they do a walk aross the bridge? My grandma did it for her 94th birthday.