Sunday, November 11, 2007

Zion National Park

We took a little trip down to Zion Thursday through Saturday. Here are a few thoughts:

  • November is a great time to go to southern Utah. The weather was beautiful! I think that it might have been a bit warmer than usual, but it was very nice. We wore sweatshirts in the mornings and short sleeves while we hiked. Also, we didn't even need reservations at the campgrounds. It wasn't empty, but there were plenty of available sites.
  • I am afraid of heights. Several years ago I went to Zion with a group of people I didn't know very well and hiked Angel's Landing having no idea what it entailed. It was a terrifying (maybe that is an extreme word) experience and although I am happy to say that I have done it I don't really have any desire to do it again. (If you don't know about Angel's Landing, I'd be happy to tell you about it sometime.) So when Mike suggested the Hidden Canyon hike and I found out it had chains along parts of the trail, I had memories of those awful chains along Angel's Landing. I am brave so I agreed to do it with the understanding that there was a very good chance that when we got to the chains, I might plant myself and wait for Mike. Well, I finished the hike and I will say that it is nothing like Angel's Landing. I didn't even worry about Abby being along for the ride (still won't let her on that other trail). It was high up and there were big cliffs, but it wasn't too bad. The Hidden Canyon was nice, too.
  • I am much better at planning for long camping trips than short ones. (I actually pride myself in planning pretty well for most vacations.) I forgot the dish soap, wash cloths and my hair brush.
Enough of my musings. Here are the pictures:

1 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

I love Zions, and I bet this is an awesome time of year to go.