Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Conference Thoughts

Briton loved conference. Mainly he loved watching the movie on the "big screen". He'd get very excited as he got himself ready with a pillow and a blanket on the couch. Lest you think he sat that way for 2 hours times four...he didn't. He was sure cute to watch during his moments though.

Abby did well. She enjoyed doing crafts during conference and spent the vast majority of the time with Mike and I as we watched it. Her craft was called a "friddle". She folded a piece of colored paper in half, taped it shut, punched holes in it and stuck straws through the holes. We aren't sure if friddles have a practical use or if they are just aesthetically pleasing, but we think she is pleasingly creative.

Another thing (of more eternal consequence) about Abby: We encouraged her to listen to President Monson's Sunday morning talk. After it was over we asked her what it was about and she had recognized it was about temples. We told her that President Monson had asked that all the children have a picture of the temple in their bedrooms. That night Mike found a packet of a zillion (or maybe around 50) pictures of various temples that I had purchased way back when for a Relief Society project. We told Abby she could pick out a picture to hang in her bedroom. She picked out the Salt Lake and Manti Temples. Lovely choices. Since then, she has continued to choose more and more and now has a dozen or so temples taped up in her room. Her favorites are the pink temples - the pictures were taken at sunset so the temples and the background actually look pink.

I enjoyed conference a great deal. I loved the idea that when we serve alongside others, we accomplish more than just the service we are performing; we build relationships. I have seen that in my branch recently. I enjoyed anything that gave me ideas on how to be a better mom. And I love the temple.

2 comments:

Emily W said...

I have always enjoyed reading your recaps on Conference!

Unknown said...

I love this! Lissie too had a hard time sitting through all of General Conference, but she certainly enjoyed the music. :) And I love that you referred to your packet of temple pictures, which I'm pretty sure you bought when we made those foil picture projects way back when! In fact, I just pulled my DC Temple foil picture out last week and framed it so we could hang it up in our home. So, thank you for buying those pictures, and I am glad you are still finding wonderful uses for them! :)